When I was about 2 years old, my father noticed that I prefer to take things using my left hand. Of course, for my parents, that wasn’t a big deal. There was a time, long ago, when being a left hander (I don’t know if that is how we are called) was something like a curse. Parents would beat their kids in order dor them to learn how to write with their right hands. Others would take them to psychiatries to attempt to solve this “disease” that their kid had. Horrible right? Well, that was a long time ago… Although there are still isolated cases I hard about.
Well, that’s because we live in a society where being left handed is a rare thing. Only 11% of worlds population is left handed. So we can say that we live in the “right handed society” now. That has it’s pron and cons. There are things we fight on regular basis and sometimes it’s okay, but other times it’s so damn frustrating!
Maybe you didn’t notice it, but all the doors in the world are made for our right handed fellows. Try it. When you have to open the door with you left hand, it, suddenly gets a little harder.
Computer mouse is on the right side of our computers. Sure, you can adjust it for left handers, but I know that I don’t.
The notebooks! It is so difficult when you have to write on the right page in the beginning so I usually place something bellow the left side of it so I could write. Sometimes, I even miss those pages because I don’t want to bother with it.
I have a problem with opening a bottle, mostly because I have to open it with my right hand which is to weak for that. So I stay thirsty sometimes ((but that is my problem).
But, whatever the problems are, we adjusted to them. We aren’t even complaining because we are used to that. It’s a part of our everyday living. We must please to the majority of people, we can’t ask them to adjust to us – that would be too much work.
The good thing is that, being a left handed is not the only way we are special. There are thing that we are better at than others.
– We make a good company: left handers have better imagination, they are good when it comes to arts, music and emotional expressions. But, we lack logic and math skills. Shame…
– We don’t have problems writing Hebrew (they write from right to left, contrary to right hand).
– Left handed people don’t think linear. They often see bigger picture. Also, they are better at multitasking. Like women. And now imagine how I, a left handed woman, do multitasking. Yup, I am good at that.
– If you are left handed, there are better chances that you’ll write a book. It has to do with that “imagination” thing.
– August 13th. The International Left=Hander’s Day.
And now it’s time for a list of left handers. I will name only some, but, if you want to know more about it, go here.
And my favorites: Sergei Rachmaninoff and Maurice Ravel.
It’s funny that I started writing this post because I couldn’t open a bottle of water. Due to dehydration, I remembered one conversation with my boyfriend about being left handed. He’s ambidextrous.
If you want to know more amazing facts about left handed people, go here, and of course, fell free to tell me your view of left handed difficulties and advantages.